Sts Peter and Paul Cathedral

Parish of Sts. Peter and Paul
Founded 1628
Sorsogon City, Philippines 4700 
Phone: +63 56 211-1710

Population:41,036
Catholic: 36,932

Titular: Sts. Peter and Paul, June 29
Most Rev. Arturo M. Bastes, SVD, DD

Rector: REV. MSGR. FELIX B. ELEGADO

Parochial Vicars:

  • REV. FR. RICO GERARDO J. JAZMIN, SVD
  • REV. FR. POLICARPIO J. LAGCO

A Brief History

The original site of the town was a small fishing village somewhere between what are now the barangays of Bulabog and Capuy.  Formerly a part of Bacon Parish, it was organized into a parish in 1628 by the missionary friars.  In 1680, a catastrophic flood inundated the place and completely destroyed the church including all images of saints except those of Sts. Peter and Paul.  Because of this, a decree was issued by Msgr. Andres Gonzales then Bishop of Nueva Caceres, giving titularship to these two saints.  This was also the year when the parish church was transferred to its present site.  The original site is now known as BINANUAHAN.

The town became a political unit under the Province of Albay in 1864. When Sorsogon was declared as a separate province, the town was chosen as the seat of the provincial government.